WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., Nov 23 (Reuters) – A New York trial judge on Tuesday extended a ban keeping the New York Times from publishing some materials concerning Project Veritas, a restriction the newspaper said violated decades of First Amendment protections.
Justice Charles Wood of the Westchester County Supreme Court said his temporary ban imposed on Nov. 18 will run at least until Dec. 1. The judge granted the extension after a 1-3/4-hour hearing in White Plains, which was part of a defamation lawsuit that Project Veritas filed against the Times last year.
Wood said as the hearing began that the case involved a clash between two “bedrock principles” of law: “freedom of the speech and freedom of the press, and attorney-client privilege.”
Project Veritas had been suing over a NY Times article describing a video the group released that showed voter fraud connected to the campaign of Ilhan Omar, a Minnesota Democrat.