Connect with us

Published

on


The police chief in charge during the Uvalde, Texas school massacre didn’t know that terrified kids locked inside a classroom with the gunman were calling 911 during the slaughter, a state lawmaker said Thursday.

State Sen. Roland Gutierrez said at a news conference that the chief of the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District didn’t have access to the 911 calls when he made the decision to wait to take out 18-year-old gunman Salvador Ramos.

“This is probably one of the worst investigations I’ve seen of just about any crime scene in the last I-don’t-know-how-many years, in the state of Texas and beyond,” Gutierrez told reporters of the Robb Elementary School massacre that left 19 students and two teachers dead.

The city of Uvalde Police Department had access to the calls – including one where a girl begged a dispatcher to “please send cops now!” – but that information didn’t reach the school district’s top cop Pete Arredondo, who was on the on-scene commander during the carnage on Tuesday.

“I’m telling you not because I want to blame the entity. There was error at every level, including legislatively,” said Gutierrez, who represents Uvalde in the state Legislature. “We need transparency and that hasn’t happened here.”

It was more than an hour from the time Ramos arrived at the school to the moment a tactical unit fatally shot him in adjoining classrooms.

Gutierrez said he asked state law enforcement for a list of where the 19 officers were standing in a hallway outside two interconnected classrooms where the gunman had locked himself in with his victims. The lawmaker said he was told by the Texas Department of Public Safety he’d get that list tomorrow and would share it with the public.

Uvalde chief of police Pedro "Pete" Arredondo
Uvalde school district Police Chief Pete Arredondo did not know students were calling 911 from inside classrooms during the school shooting, a state senator says.
REUTERS
Robb Elementary School shooting
One child begged for cops to be sent into the building from inside a classroom.
Pete Luna/Uvalde Leader-News
Uvalde police
Uvalde school district police are facing intense scrutiny for their decision to hold off on entering the school.
John Roca
Texas shooting
The shooting killed 19 students and two teachers.
AFP via Getty Images
Uvalde shooting
State Sen. Roland Gutierrez said the city of Uvalde police department had access to the calls but the information was not shared.
ZUMA24.com

He has also requested radio transmissions of the 911 calls, he said – but he’s not sure they’ll be given to him.

“There is enough blame to go around. There was human error and systemic failure,” Gutierrez said.

“My biggest concern is that there were 19 officers for 45 minutes who didn’t do anything.”

Ramos crashed a pickup truck in a ditch near the school at about 11:28 a.m. and popped out with an AR-15 style assault rifle. He fired shots at the building and two bystanders at a funeral home across the street before he walked into an unlocked door at about 11:33 a.m., officials have said.

The first officers arrived minutes later but were pushed back by gunfire. Backup soon arrived — with an estimated 19 officers gathered inside the building by about 12:03 p.m.

But police didn’t open the door using a janitor’s key and fatally shoot Ramos until 12:50 p.m., officials have said. The lag has led to questions about whether lives could’ve been saved if cops acted sooner.

Steven McCraw, director of the state Department of Public Safety, has said Arredondo’s decision not to breach the door of the classroom was “the wrong decision.” The US Department of Justice is now probing local cops’ response to the massacre.

The latest from the Texas school shooting

Gutierrez had previously said that a parent of one of the young victim’s had told him that her child bled out but might have lived if she received medical treatment sooner.

“We have all failed. There’s been a lot of failure,” Guiterrez said Thursday. “To the one family I’ve talked to, whose daughter was shot one time only and likely bled out … I could only say I’m sorry.”


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

Kourtney Kardashian uses Kopari Coconut Melt to ‘look good naked’

Published

on

By


Page Six may be compensated and/or receive an affiliate commission if you buy through our links.

Kourtney Kardashian’s no stranger to showing skin.

Whether the reality star’s modeling lingerie, baring it all in a bikini or packing on PDA with husband Travis Barker, she’s clearly confident about her body — and relies on a selection of tried-and-true products to keep her skin in tip-top shape.

In one of her first-ever Poosh stories, fittingly titled “How to Look Good Naked,” the 43-year-old outlines some of her body care essentials, including La Mer The Body Crème ($300), Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Aging Body Cream ($95) and Le Labo’s Pin 12 Candle ($82) — the latter because “lighting is everything.”

But not everything on Kardashian’s list will bust your budget. She also swears by Kopari Organic Coconut Melt, which will set you back just $29 for a full-sized jar or $18 for a mini version.

“In order to achieve glowy skin, it’s important to moisturize everything — everywhere — at least once a day,” the Poosh piece reads. “Don’t forget to care for your hands and feet as well; we recommend focusing on these areas at night.”

Billed as “a deep conditioner for your bod,” the product is comprised of 100% organic, unrefined coconut oil, and Kopari suggests applying it “as soon as you step out of the shower and at the end of the day.”

What’s more, the multitasking product also works well as a hair mask, dry shave oil, bath mix-in and belly balm, per the brand.

Snag a tub for yourself below — and get ready to look fabulous in your birthday suit, too.

Kopari Organic Coconut melt
Kopari


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Carlos Carrasco’s gem, three homers propel Mets past Marlins

Published

on

By


MIAMI — He’s one tough Cookie these days.

Carlos Carrasco isn’t going to win any contests blowing away hitters, but the right-hander’s offspeed pitches and command — and most importantly, his health — have converged this season to give the Mets an invaluable rotation piece.

On Saturday, he gave his team 7 ²/₃ shutout innings in a 4-0 victory over the Marlins at loanDepot park. Carrasco extended his scoreless streak over his past three starts to 18 ²/₃ innings.

The win was No. 100 in Carrasco’s career, making the 35-year-old the eighth Venezuelan-born pitcher to reach the milestone. Carrasco last surrendered a run on July 9 against the Marlins at Citi Field.

The Mets (63-37) won their fifth straight and reached the 100-game mark with the franchise’s most victories since 1986.

Overall, Carrasco allowed four hits and struck out seven with two walks. Seth Lugo replaced Carrasco in the eighth inning after Charles Leblanc had doubled with two outs. But Leblanc was picked off second base by Tomas Nido, ensuring Carrasco’s scoreless streak continued.

Carlos Carrasco didn't allow a run in the Mets' 4-0 win over the Marlins.
Carlos Carrasco didn’t allow a run in the Mets’ 4-0 win over the Marlins.
AP

Lugo remained in the game to pitch a scoreless ninth inning, allowing Edwin Diaz a day off following a 10-pitch outing Friday in which he struck out the side.

The Mets will try for a three-game sweep of the reeling Marlins on Sunday with Taijuan Walker on the mound.

After scuffling at the plate for seven innings, the Mets gave Carrasco breathing room in the eighth when Francisco Lindor and J.D. Davis each blasted a solo homer to give the Mets a 4-0 lead. Davis’ homer, in a pinch-hitting appearance, came as the Mets are searching on the trade market for a right-handed bat to solidify the DH spot.

The Mets have traded for two lefty bats in the last week-plus to bolster the other half of the DH equation. One of those additions, Tyler Naquin, debuted for the Mets on Saturday in left field and went 0-for-4. Daniel Vogelbach started at DH and drew a walk in four plate appearances.

Carrasco’s gem was the latest strong performance by a Mets starting pitcher. Entering play, the Mets had a 2.45 ERA from the starting rotation in July, which ranked second in the major leagues. Chris Bassitt had a rare flat start for the Mets a night earlier, when he allowed four earned runs over six innings.

Jeff McNeil hit a solo homer in the third against rookie Nick Neidert to give the Mets their first run. The homer was the first since June 14 for McNeil, who entered the day with a .162/.240/.191 slash line in July.

The Mets weren’t finished in the inning: Nido, Brandon Nimmo and Lindor all singled. Lindor’s hit extended the Mets’ lead to 2-0 and gave the shortstop 68 RBIs for the season before he reached 69 with his blast later.

Carrasco was challenged in the first inning, when he allowed a single to Miguel Rojas and walk to Jesus Aguilar before retiring JJ Bleday for the final out. In the fourth, Carrasco surrendered a leadoff single, but he escaped the inning when he got Bleday to ground into a double-play.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Career NYC criminal tries to steal moped from NYPD station

Published

on

By



A brazen career criminal with more than 50 arrests on his rap sheet, including rape, was busted for trying to steal a moped from outside a lower Manhattan police station.

Jon Matos was caught red-handed approaching the $1,200 bike outside the 5th Precinct, sources said.

He was allegedly using a set of burglary tools Friday to try to bust the lock of the bike, which was vouchered property, cops and sources said.

Matos, a homeless father of three, was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of attempted grand larceny and possession of burglary tools.

The proceeding was delayed for hours, sources said, after Matos allegedly became angry with a cellmate who used the facilities — but didn’t courtesy flush.

“I was just f–king with it. It’s not my tools,” he allegedly told an NYPD detective, said Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Megan Mers during the court proceeding.

Judge Valentina Morales Saturday agreed to give Matos supervised release in the moped case.

“Thank you, your honor,” Matos told Morales.

But instead of hitting the streets once again, Matos was held on outstanding charges from the 23rd Precinct in an unrelated case, authorities said.

It was his second appearance before a judge in a week: Matos was in court days earlier, charged with grand larceny, petit larceny, and criminal possession of stolen property and was released in yet another incident.

Matos has racked up dozens of busts for burglary, robbery, fare evasion — including the 1999 rape of a 14-year-old girl.

Crime is up in six of the seven major crimes measured by the department contributed to the increase — though the seventh category, murders, dropped a noticeable 31.6% last month in comparison to numbers compiled in June 2021, according to the NYPD’s preliminary statistics.

Grand larceny spiked 41%, robbery rose 36.1% and burglary went up 33.8%.

When addressing the crime spike last month, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the department was arresting the same people for crimes “over and over again.”

Other recent and brazen repeat offenders include veteran shoplifter Isaac “Man of Steal” Rodriguez, who was finally locked up in January after dozens of arrests for stealing to support his drug habit.

Laron Mack, whose catchphrase is “I steal for a living,” has been arrested more than 50 times. Another serial stealer, James Connelly, was busted in December for involvement in 28 separate incidents over three months.

Last month, accused serial shoplifter Lorenzo McLucas, 34, was nabbed for stealing from the cosmetics counter at a Duane Reade on Lexington Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, according to cops and court documents.

McLucas, who was released on his own recognizance, has notched 122 prior arrests.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Trending

Back