Connect with us



About five years ago, Richard Bernstein started experiencing a mysterious pain in his right toe.

“I went to my podiatrist,” the 62-year-old Montvale, NJ, resident told The Post. “I thought I had fractured the toe, but he couldn’t find anything wrong with it.”

Two years later, the pain crept into his ankle, so he saw a sports medicine doctor, who thought he had stenosis — a narrowing of the spaces within the spine that is sometimes treated with physical therapy.

His foot and ankle pain continued, mildly affecting his mobility. Then, in March of 2022, his right leg noticeably swelled up. He went to his general practitioner, who took an abdominal scan during his examination. The doctor immediately sent him to see Dr. Michael Grasso, the Director of Urology at Phelps Hospital, who delivered some unsettling news.

“He told me I had four days to live,” recalled Bernstein.

Richard Bernstein's CT scan of torso revealing his kidney tumor and tumor thrombus
Bernstein’s CT scan of his torso, revealing his kidney tumor and tumor thrombus.
Courtesy of Northwell Health

The abdominal scan showed that the married father of one had a large cancerous kidney tumor and tumor thrombus that had grown up through the renal vein and filled the vena cava, which is the main vein draining into the heart.

Grasso had Bernstein admitted to Lenox Hill Hospital, so he, along with cardiothoracic surgeon Michael Hemli and vascular surgeon Alfio Carroccio, could perform a complex procedure to remove the tumor.

But preoperative testing revealed more pressing medical issues. Two of Bernstein’s main coronary arteries were 99% blocked, and his liver was failing because the malignancy was obstructing its function.

Urologist Dr. Michael Grasso, cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Jonathan Hemli and vascular surgeon Alfio Carroccio operating on Bernstein in what was a 12 hour procedure
Urologist Dr. Michael Grasso, cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Jonathan Hemli and vascular surgeon Alfio Carroccio operating on Bernstein in what was a 12-hour procedure.
Northwell Health

“He was walking a thin tightrope,” Grasso told The Post. “You have two situations that are life ending in a very short period of time, happening simultaneously.”

The trio of surgeons had to both remove the tumor and perform a bypass. The procedure took nearly 12 hours and was a medical symphony of sorts.

The kidney, tumor and surrounding fat along with the tumor thrombus removed from Richard Bernstein
The kidney, tumor and surrounding fat along with the tumor thrombus removed from Bernstein.
Northwell Health

First, they needed to “control the circulation” by shutting off the flow of blood without harming the brain. To achieve this, they hooked Bernstein up to a lung and heart machine that cools the body to 18 degrees.

“We can’t just open the vena cava and scoop out the clot and close it again because the bleeding is torrential,” said Hemli. “We want to stop the circulation completely.”

While the body was undergoing the two-hour cooling process, Hemli and his team performed the coronary bypass. Then the trio went about removing the kidney and tumor.

“We opened the vena cava, and they opened the heart on the right side [and] freed up the tumor. I freed it up from below, pulled the snake out and they fixed the vena cava and started warming him up again,” said Grasso.

The “snake” — i.e. the tumor and tumor thrombus — to which he referred measured about a foot long and weighed nearly 2.5 pounds.

Richard Bernstein with his wife Ann and daughter Emma
Bernstein with his wife Ann and daughter Emma.
Courtesy of Richard Bernstein

“I can’t say I fully recognized the complexity when I went in, even though Grasso told me it was complex. There was not much I could do about it and [that attitude] got me through,” said Bernstein.

According to Grasso, the pain was manifesting itself in Bernstein’s foot, ankle and leg because there was a venous blockage.

“The vena cava was being obstructed. There was pressure in his lower extremities,” said Grasso.

Kidney cancer notoriously presents late, when the tumor has progressed. The signs can be vague, like back pain, though urine in the blood is another indication.

Bernstein said he had a small lump on his chest that his doctor dismissed. However, he feels lucky.

“If my whole leg didn’t swell up, I would have dropped dead,” said Bernstein, who after the surgery was sedated for about three days. After a week, he left Lenox Hill to rehab at Phelps Hospital, where he built up his strength. He is now walking unaided and is slowly regaining the 30 pounds he lost.

The doctors believe they removed all of his cancer, so he doesn’t need to undergo any additional treatment. His focus now is on recovering from the intense surgery.

“I’m still suffering from a fog a bit,” said Bernstein, who now tells people experiencing vague symptoms to not disregard them.

“There was no serious pain at all. My advice is if something is wrong and they can’t find it, don’t give up looking,” he said. “Trust your feelings about your own body.”

By: Ny Post



Kourtney Kardashian uses Kopari Coconut Melt to ‘look good naked’




Page Six may be compensated and/or receive an affiliate commission if you buy through our links.

Kourtney Kardashian’s no stranger to showing skin.

Whether the reality star’s modeling lingerie, baring it all in a bikini or packing on PDA with husband Travis Barker, she’s clearly confident about her body — and relies on a selection of tried-and-true products to keep her skin in tip-top shape.

In one of her first-ever Poosh stories, fittingly titled “How to Look Good Naked,” the 43-year-old outlines some of her body care essentials, including La Mer The Body Crème ($300), Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Aging Body Cream ($95) and Le Labo’s Pin 12 Candle ($82) — the latter because “lighting is everything.”

But not everything on Kardashian’s list will bust your budget. She also swears by Kopari Organic Coconut Melt, which will set you back just $29 for a full-sized jar or $18 for a mini version.

“In order to achieve glowy skin, it’s important to moisturize everything — everywhere — at least once a day,” the Poosh piece reads. “Don’t forget to care for your hands and feet as well; we recommend focusing on these areas at night.”

Billed as “a deep conditioner for your bod,” the product is comprised of 100% organic, unrefined coconut oil, and Kopari suggests applying it “as soon as you step out of the shower and at the end of the day.”

What’s more, the multitasking product also works well as a hair mask, dry shave oil, bath mix-in and belly balm, per the brand.

Snag a tub for yourself below — and get ready to look fabulous in your birthday suit, too.

Kopari Organic Coconut melt

By: Ny Post

Continue Reading


Carlos Carrasco’s gem, three homers propel Mets past Marlins




MIAMI — He’s one tough Cookie these days.

Carlos Carrasco isn’t going to win any contests blowing away hitters, but the right-hander’s offspeed pitches and command — and most importantly, his health — have converged this season to give the Mets an invaluable rotation piece.

On Saturday, he gave his team 7 ²/₃ shutout innings in a 4-0 victory over the Marlins at loanDepot park. Carrasco extended his scoreless streak over his past three starts to 18 ²/₃ innings.

The win was No. 100 in Carrasco’s career, making the 35-year-old the eighth Venezuelan-born pitcher to reach the milestone. Carrasco last surrendered a run on July 9 against the Marlins at Citi Field.

The Mets (63-37) won their fifth straight and reached the 100-game mark with the franchise’s most victories since 1986.

Overall, Carrasco allowed four hits and struck out seven with two walks. Seth Lugo replaced Carrasco in the eighth inning after Charles Leblanc had doubled with two outs. But Leblanc was picked off second base by Tomas Nido, ensuring Carrasco’s scoreless streak continued.

Carlos Carrasco didn't allow a run in the Mets' 4-0 win over the Marlins.
Carlos Carrasco didn’t allow a run in the Mets’ 4-0 win over the Marlins.

Lugo remained in the game to pitch a scoreless ninth inning, allowing Edwin Diaz a day off following a 10-pitch outing Friday in which he struck out the side.

The Mets will try for a three-game sweep of the reeling Marlins on Sunday with Taijuan Walker on the mound.

After scuffling at the plate for seven innings, the Mets gave Carrasco breathing room in the eighth when Francisco Lindor and J.D. Davis each blasted a solo homer to give the Mets a 4-0 lead. Davis’ homer, in a pinch-hitting appearance, came as the Mets are searching on the trade market for a right-handed bat to solidify the DH spot.

The Mets have traded for two lefty bats in the last week-plus to bolster the other half of the DH equation. One of those additions, Tyler Naquin, debuted for the Mets on Saturday in left field and went 0-for-4. Daniel Vogelbach started at DH and drew a walk in four plate appearances.

Carrasco’s gem was the latest strong performance by a Mets starting pitcher. Entering play, the Mets had a 2.45 ERA from the starting rotation in July, which ranked second in the major leagues. Chris Bassitt had a rare flat start for the Mets a night earlier, when he allowed four earned runs over six innings.

Jeff McNeil hit a solo homer in the third against rookie Nick Neidert to give the Mets their first run. The homer was the first since June 14 for McNeil, who entered the day with a .162/.240/.191 slash line in July.

The Mets weren’t finished in the inning: Nido, Brandon Nimmo and Lindor all singled. Lindor’s hit extended the Mets’ lead to 2-0 and gave the shortstop 68 RBIs for the season before he reached 69 with his blast later.

Carrasco was challenged in the first inning, when he allowed a single to Miguel Rojas and walk to Jesus Aguilar before retiring JJ Bleday for the final out. In the fourth, Carrasco surrendered a leadoff single, but he escaped the inning when he got Bleday to ground into a double-play.

By: Ny Post

Continue Reading


Career NYC criminal tries to steal moped from NYPD station




A brazen career criminal with more than 50 arrests on his rap sheet, including rape, was busted for trying to steal a moped from outside a lower Manhattan police station.

Jon Matos was caught red-handed approaching the $1,200 bike outside the 5th Precinct, sources said.

He was allegedly using a set of burglary tools Friday to try to bust the lock of the bike, which was vouchered property, cops and sources said.

Matos, a homeless father of three, was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of attempted grand larceny and possession of burglary tools.

The proceeding was delayed for hours, sources said, after Matos allegedly became angry with a cellmate who used the facilities — but didn’t courtesy flush.

“I was just f–king with it. It’s not my tools,” he allegedly told an NYPD detective, said Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Megan Mers during the court proceeding.

Judge Valentina Morales Saturday agreed to give Matos supervised release in the moped case.

“Thank you, your honor,” Matos told Morales.

But instead of hitting the streets once again, Matos was held on outstanding charges from the 23rd Precinct in an unrelated case, authorities said.

It was his second appearance before a judge in a week: Matos was in court days earlier, charged with grand larceny, petit larceny, and criminal possession of stolen property and was released in yet another incident.

Matos has racked up dozens of busts for burglary, robbery, fare evasion — including the 1999 rape of a 14-year-old girl.

Crime is up in six of the seven major crimes measured by the department contributed to the increase — though the seventh category, murders, dropped a noticeable 31.6% last month in comparison to numbers compiled in June 2021, according to the NYPD’s preliminary statistics.

Grand larceny spiked 41%, robbery rose 36.1% and burglary went up 33.8%.

When addressing the crime spike last month, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the department was arresting the same people for crimes “over and over again.”

Other recent and brazen repeat offenders include veteran shoplifter Isaac “Man of Steal” Rodriguez, who was finally locked up in January after dozens of arrests for stealing to support his drug habit.

Laron Mack, whose catchphrase is “I steal for a living,” has been arrested more than 50 times. Another serial stealer, James Connelly, was busted in December for involvement in 28 separate incidents over three months.

Last month, accused serial shoplifter Lorenzo McLucas, 34, was nabbed for stealing from the cosmetics counter at a Duane Reade on Lexington Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, according to cops and court documents.

McLucas, who was released on his own recognizance, has notched 122 prior arrests.

By: Ny Post

Continue Reading