Connect with us

Published

on


The jury in the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s bombshell defamation trial will resume deliberations Tuesday morning after a three-day break for the Memorial Day weekend.

The seven-person panel — which spent just two hours deliberating on Friday — is set to reconvene in the Fairfax, Virginia, courthouse at around 9 a.m. to continue weighing the evidence they heard over the last six weeks.

Depp, 58, is suing his ex-wife for $50 million in defamation over her 2018 Washington Post essay in which she wrote about facing “our culture’s wrath” as a “public figure representing domestic abuse.” 

The “Pirates of the Caribbean” star says that even though the piece did not name him, it sullied his reputation and cost him eight figures in potential earnings. 

Heard, 36, fired back with a $100 million countersuit, claiming that Depp’s lawyer Adam Waldman destroyed her career and made her life hell by telling the press in 2020 that she had fabricated her domestic abuse allegations.

Jurors must decide who defamed whom, and could rule in favor of one of the two, neither, or even both. 

Depp flew to England shortly after closing arguments wrapped on Friday, and joined his friend rocker Jeff Beck, 77, on stage at Sheffield City Hall on Sunday to perform covers of John Lennon’s “Isolation,” Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On,” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing.”

Heard arrives at court on May 25.
Heard arrives at court on May 25.
Getty Images

Two days earlier in court, Depp’s lawyer told the jury that the actor was the real victim of domestic abuse in his former relationship with Heard.

“There is an abuser in this courtroom, but it is not Mr. Depp,” Camille Vasquez said in her closing statement. “Miss Heard is in fact the abuser and Mr. Depp is the abused.”

Heard made up the abuse allegations because she’s a “deeply troubled person” desperate for attention, Vasquez alleged.

She asked the jurors to “give Mr. Depp his life back by telling the world that Mr. Depp is not the abuser Miss Heard said he is and hold Miss Heard accountable for her lies.”

After Depp’s team finished, Heard’s lawyer Ben Rottenborn told the jury that “If Amber was abused by Mr. Depp even one time, then she wins.

Depp is seen leaving court on May 27.
Depp is seen leaving court on May 27.
Getty Images

“And we’re not just talking about physical abuse,” he said. It also included “emotional abuse, psychological abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse.” 

He argued that Depp’s true self had been revealed in court through the vulgar texts he sent about his wife, in which he fantasized about her “rotting corpse.” 

“Ladies and gentlemen, these words are a window into the heart and mind of America’s favorite pirate,” the lawyer said.

It’s unclear how long the jury will deliberate and if and how much they will award to the respective parties.

Their decision will mark a close to Depp and Heard’s doomed relationship, which the public has been following for more than a decade.

The couple met in 2009 while filming the big-screen adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson’s “The Rum Diary,” in which Depp plays a journalist who takes a job in Puerto Rico and falls in love with Heard’s character.

They were both seeing people at the time, but reunited in 2012 when single and began to date.

Depp proposed to Heard in 2014 and they were married in an early 2015 ceremony on Depp’s private island in The Bahamas. 

Heard filed for divorce and asked the court for a temporary restraining order against Depp in May 2016. 

“Our relationship was intensely passionate and at times volatile, but always bound by love,” the pair said in a joint statement released following the divorce. “Neither party has lied nor made false accusations for financial gain. There was never any intent of physical or emotional harm.”

But their relationship did not end there. Heard has alleged she was sexually, physically and emotionally abused by Depp.

Depp previously sued British publication The Sun for libel for calling him a “wife-beater” in an article.

He lost his court battle in the UK — where it’s thought to be easier to win a libel case than in the US — and his current fight in Virginia was widely seen as his last chance to remake his legacy and recover from the abuse allegations.

Depp, who has always denied the allegations, told the court upon taking the stand that he sued Heard to “clear my name.”

Heard, meanwhile, said the suit has haunted her and she wants to leave this all in the past. 

 “This is horrible. This is painful. And this is humiliating for any human being to go through,” she said in her final plea to the jury last week.

“In the harassment and humiliation, the campaign against me that’s echoed every single day on social media. And now in front of cameras in this room. Every single day I have to relive the trauma,” she cried.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

Kourtney Kardashian uses Kopari Coconut Melt to ‘look good naked’

Published

on

By


Page Six may be compensated and/or receive an affiliate commission if you buy through our links.

Kourtney Kardashian’s no stranger to showing skin.

Whether the reality star’s modeling lingerie, baring it all in a bikini or packing on PDA with husband Travis Barker, she’s clearly confident about her body — and relies on a selection of tried-and-true products to keep her skin in tip-top shape.

In one of her first-ever Poosh stories, fittingly titled “How to Look Good Naked,” the 43-year-old outlines some of her body care essentials, including La Mer The Body Crème ($300), Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Aging Body Cream ($95) and Le Labo’s Pin 12 Candle ($82) — the latter because “lighting is everything.”

But not everything on Kardashian’s list will bust your budget. She also swears by Kopari Organic Coconut Melt, which will set you back just $29 for a full-sized jar or $18 for a mini version.

“In order to achieve glowy skin, it’s important to moisturize everything — everywhere — at least once a day,” the Poosh piece reads. “Don’t forget to care for your hands and feet as well; we recommend focusing on these areas at night.”

Billed as “a deep conditioner for your bod,” the product is comprised of 100% organic, unrefined coconut oil, and Kopari suggests applying it “as soon as you step out of the shower and at the end of the day.”

What’s more, the multitasking product also works well as a hair mask, dry shave oil, bath mix-in and belly balm, per the brand.

Snag a tub for yourself below — and get ready to look fabulous in your birthday suit, too.

Kopari Organic Coconut melt
Kopari


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Carlos Carrasco’s gem, three homers propel Mets past Marlins

Published

on

By


MIAMI — He’s one tough Cookie these days.

Carlos Carrasco isn’t going to win any contests blowing away hitters, but the right-hander’s offspeed pitches and command — and most importantly, his health — have converged this season to give the Mets an invaluable rotation piece.

On Saturday, he gave his team 7 ²/₃ shutout innings in a 4-0 victory over the Marlins at loanDepot park. Carrasco extended his scoreless streak over his past three starts to 18 ²/₃ innings.

The win was No. 100 in Carrasco’s career, making the 35-year-old the eighth Venezuelan-born pitcher to reach the milestone. Carrasco last surrendered a run on July 9 against the Marlins at Citi Field.

The Mets (63-37) won their fifth straight and reached the 100-game mark with the franchise’s most victories since 1986.

Overall, Carrasco allowed four hits and struck out seven with two walks. Seth Lugo replaced Carrasco in the eighth inning after Charles Leblanc had doubled with two outs. But Leblanc was picked off second base by Tomas Nido, ensuring Carrasco’s scoreless streak continued.

Carlos Carrasco didn't allow a run in the Mets' 4-0 win over the Marlins.
Carlos Carrasco didn’t allow a run in the Mets’ 4-0 win over the Marlins.
AP

Lugo remained in the game to pitch a scoreless ninth inning, allowing Edwin Diaz a day off following a 10-pitch outing Friday in which he struck out the side.

The Mets will try for a three-game sweep of the reeling Marlins on Sunday with Taijuan Walker on the mound.

After scuffling at the plate for seven innings, the Mets gave Carrasco breathing room in the eighth when Francisco Lindor and J.D. Davis each blasted a solo homer to give the Mets a 4-0 lead. Davis’ homer, in a pinch-hitting appearance, came as the Mets are searching on the trade market for a right-handed bat to solidify the DH spot.

The Mets have traded for two lefty bats in the last week-plus to bolster the other half of the DH equation. One of those additions, Tyler Naquin, debuted for the Mets on Saturday in left field and went 0-for-4. Daniel Vogelbach started at DH and drew a walk in four plate appearances.

Carrasco’s gem was the latest strong performance by a Mets starting pitcher. Entering play, the Mets had a 2.45 ERA from the starting rotation in July, which ranked second in the major leagues. Chris Bassitt had a rare flat start for the Mets a night earlier, when he allowed four earned runs over six innings.

Jeff McNeil hit a solo homer in the third against rookie Nick Neidert to give the Mets their first run. The homer was the first since June 14 for McNeil, who entered the day with a .162/.240/.191 slash line in July.

The Mets weren’t finished in the inning: Nido, Brandon Nimmo and Lindor all singled. Lindor’s hit extended the Mets’ lead to 2-0 and gave the shortstop 68 RBIs for the season before he reached 69 with his blast later.

Carrasco was challenged in the first inning, when he allowed a single to Miguel Rojas and walk to Jesus Aguilar before retiring JJ Bleday for the final out. In the fourth, Carrasco surrendered a leadoff single, but he escaped the inning when he got Bleday to ground into a double-play.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Career NYC criminal tries to steal moped from NYPD station

Published

on

By



A brazen career criminal with more than 50 arrests on his rap sheet, including rape, was busted for trying to steal a moped from outside a lower Manhattan police station.

Jon Matos was caught red-handed approaching the $1,200 bike outside the 5th Precinct, sources said.

He was allegedly using a set of burglary tools Friday to try to bust the lock of the bike, which was vouchered property, cops and sources said.

Matos, a homeless father of three, was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of attempted grand larceny and possession of burglary tools.

The proceeding was delayed for hours, sources said, after Matos allegedly became angry with a cellmate who used the facilities — but didn’t courtesy flush.

“I was just f–king with it. It’s not my tools,” he allegedly told an NYPD detective, said Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Megan Mers during the court proceeding.

Judge Valentina Morales Saturday agreed to give Matos supervised release in the moped case.

“Thank you, your honor,” Matos told Morales.

But instead of hitting the streets once again, Matos was held on outstanding charges from the 23rd Precinct in an unrelated case, authorities said.

It was his second appearance before a judge in a week: Matos was in court days earlier, charged with grand larceny, petit larceny, and criminal possession of stolen property and was released in yet another incident.

Matos has racked up dozens of busts for burglary, robbery, fare evasion — including the 1999 rape of a 14-year-old girl.

Crime is up in six of the seven major crimes measured by the department contributed to the increase — though the seventh category, murders, dropped a noticeable 31.6% last month in comparison to numbers compiled in June 2021, according to the NYPD’s preliminary statistics.

Grand larceny spiked 41%, robbery rose 36.1% and burglary went up 33.8%.

When addressing the crime spike last month, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the department was arresting the same people for crimes “over and over again.”

Other recent and brazen repeat offenders include veteran shoplifter Isaac “Man of Steal” Rodriguez, who was finally locked up in January after dozens of arrests for stealing to support his drug habit.

Laron Mack, whose catchphrase is “I steal for a living,” has been arrested more than 50 times. Another serial stealer, James Connelly, was busted in December for involvement in 28 separate incidents over three months.

Last month, accused serial shoplifter Lorenzo McLucas, 34, was nabbed for stealing from the cosmetics counter at a Duane Reade on Lexington Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, according to cops and court documents.

McLucas, who was released on his own recognizance, has notched 122 prior arrests.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Trending

Back