Connect with us

Published

on


Critics can destroy the careers of artists, but leave it to the clumsy and enraged to destroy the actual works.

Earlier this month, a man was arrested after allegedly destroying $5 million of artifacts at the Dallas Museum of Art because he was angry at his girlfriend.

But just as shocking are those who mean no harm to the world’s cultural works. Last week, the Marilyn Monroe Collection Instagram account posted photos alleging to show how the dress Monroe wore to sing “Happy Birthday Mr. President” in 1962 to John F. Kennedy was damaged when Kim Kardashian wore it to the 2022 Met Gala.

The photos purport to show the dress missing some crystals and with others “hanging by a thread.”

Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum in Orlando, which owns the dress — said to be worth more than $10 million — disputed this, saying the dress was not damaged by Kardashian and, in fact, already a number of seams “pulled and worn,” as well as “puckering at the back by the hooks and eyes.”

Kim Kardashian attends the 2022 Met Gala in Marilyn Monroe's iconic dress.
Kim Kardashian attends the 2022 Met Gala in Marilyn Monroe’s iconic dress.
Getty Images

In any case, Artnet reported that the International Council of Museums was inspired to form a preservation committee and draw up guidelines recommending such pieces not be loaned out for wear.

Here are some of the worst examples of art harmed by human clumsiness, carelessness or worse.

‘Star-Spangled Banner’ flag

The flag that inspired the national anthem "Star-Spangled Banner" has been snipped, with remnants given away as souvenirs.
The flag that inspired the national anthem “Star-Spangled Banner” has been snipped, with remnants given away as souvenirs.
AP

It’s the flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write “The Star-Spangled Banner” — but there’s a lot of those broad stripes and bright stars are missing now.

This 1814 version of Old Glory was raised over Fort McHenry and signaled American armed forces defeating British soldiers in the Battle of Baltimore. At the time that Key saw the flag waving, it measured 30-by-42 feet and featured 15 stars. But what’s on display today at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC, is much smaller and shows only 14 stars in the field of blue.

It seems Georgiana Armistead Appleton — the daughter of Fort McHenry commander Lt. Col. George Armistead, who took the flag home as a keepsake after the battle — began snipping off fragments of to give away to veterans, politicians and others. In total, according to the Smithsonian, “over two hundred square feet of the Star-Spangled Banner was eventually given away.”

Greek vases and other treasures at the Dallas Museum of Art

Two of the items recently damaged at the Dallas Museum of Art.
Two of the items recently damaged at the Dallas Museum of Art.
Dallas Museum of Art

On June 1, Brian Hernandez allegedly got so “mad at his girl,” officials said, that he broke into the Dallas Museum of Art and turned ancient Greek treasures into rubble.

Security cameras captured the 21-year-old smashing items that included a vase from sixth-century Greece and another piece that dated back to 450 BC. In all, before being arrested, the hot-headed art hater caused some $5 million worth of damage.

He was arrested and is now locked up in the Dallas County Jail with bond set at $100,000, online records show.

Picasso’s ‘Le Reve’

Casino owner Steve Wynn put his elbow through a Pablo Picasso painting just a day after agreeing to sell it for $139 million.
Casino owner Steve Wynn put his elbow through a Pablo Picasso painting just a day after agreeing to sell it for $139 million.
Graeme Massie/Splash News

Casino mogul Steve Wynne lost bit when, in 2006, he stumbled into “Le Reve,” a Picasso masterpiece that had been hanging in his office. Wynne’s elbow left a two-inch puncture in the canvas — and a $139 million hole in his wallet. That’s how much he had planned to sell the 1932 oil painting, which portrays Picasso’s lover Marie-Thérèse Walter, for to Mets owner Steve Cohen.

Adding insult to injury, Wynn damaged the treasured work before a crowd of media A-listers who included Nora Ephron, Nick Pileggi and Barbara Walters. One of those who was present and told The Post, “The poor man’s eyesight was so bad [Wynn suffers from retinitis peigmentosa] that he thought he was further away from the painting than he was. What shocked me more than what he did to the painting was how he handled it: He was so calm and quiet. He looked at us and said, ‘Thank heavens it was me.’ Then he called his wife.”

“Le Reve” was repaired and Wynn ended up selling it to Cohen for $150 million. He had more artistic bad luck in 2018, when his 1943 Picasso self-portrait “Le Marin” was withdrawn from a Christie’s auction after it was accidentally damaged by a paint roller that had been left propped against a wall.

George Harrison’s sitar

A museum staff member dropped George Harrison's sitar and broke the fret board off the instrument.
A museum staff member dropped George Harrison’s sitar and broke the fret board off the instrument.
AP

Things got out of tune when a sitar that had belonged to George Harrison — and which he used during the recording the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” in 1967 — was broken at London’s Victoria & Albert Museum in 2019.

According to the Daily Mail, a staffer dropped the instrument, which was to be part of a Harrison exhibit, so that its fretboard snapped right off. Museum employees then had to make “an awkward telephone call” to the Beatle’s widow, Olivia.

As to what the instrument might have been worth, another of Harrison’s sitars — the one he played on “Norwegian Wood” — sold for some $57,000 at auction in 2017.

Qing Dynasty vases

Two of the vases broken when Nick Flynn fell down a museum's stairs.
Two of the vases broken when Nick Flynn fell down a museum’s stairs.
Ian McCarney/Shutterstock

According to Nick Flynn, from Cambridge, England, he was visiting that town’s Fitzwilliam Museum in 2006 when he tripped on his untied shoelace and went tumbling to the bottom of a staircase — breaking three vases dating back to China’s Qing Dynasty.

In trying to stop his fall, Flynn said he hit the first vase and then the other two went down “like a set of dominos.” The pieces, which were displayed on a windowsill, had been part of the Kangxi Empire, which lasted from 1662-1722. The damage was estimated at around $122,000.

And the vases, as it turns out, were not insured. Soon after the incident, a police spokesman announced that Flynn had been “arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.” Flynn told the Guardian that he “spent a night in the cells. It wasn’t too heavy: the police kept offering me tea and beans and potato wedges.”

Had a hole not been drilled into this Qing dynasty vase — to turn it into a lamp — it could have been worth $306,000 with its original match.
Had a hole not been drilled into this Qing dynasty vase — to turn it into a lamp — it could have been worth $306,000 with its original match.
Bournemouth News/Shutterstock

The charges were later dropped.

Claiming to have not “broken anything in ages,” Flynn added that he feels no guilt: “I actually think I did the museum a favor. So many people have gone there to see the windowsill where it happened that I must have increased visitation numbers. They should make me a trustee.”

Meanwhile, the family of a southwest London granny decided to get an old lamp from her home appraised in 2008. The good news: The blue-and-white ceramic base, originally a vase, dated to the early 18th century, having been made in China during the Qing dynasty. It was part of a pair worth an estimated $306,000. The bad news? Sometime over the last 300 years, it had been converted from vase to lamp, including drilling a small hole in the vase. That brought the value down to around $25,000.

$1.5 million ‘Flowers’ painting

A clumsy kid lost his footing while touring a Leonardo da Vinci-focused exhibit at a museum in Taiwain in 2015, tumbling fist-first into a 17th-century painting valued at $1.5 million — and it was all caught on video.

Luckily for the 12-year-old, the Huashan 1914 Creative Park museum in Taipei had insurance to cover the restoration cost, so his family was not held liable.

But exhibition organized Sun Chi-hsuan told CNN, “I’m actually thinking of asking the boy back to be a volunteer in the exhibition one day — as a penalty.”

‘Ecce Homo’ fresco

Cecilia Giménez's now-infamous restoration (right) of the fresco "Ecce Homo."
Cecilia Giménez’s now-infamous restoration (right) of the fresco “Ecce Homo.”
AP

Cecilia Giménez was bothered by the rough shape and peeling paint of “Ecce Homo” (“Behold the Man”), a beloved fresco hanging at her church in Borja, Spain — so the 80-year-old decided to fix it in 2012.

Never mind that she had no art training. Her “restoration” of the circa 1930 rendering of Jesus Christ, by a minor artist, ended up being compared to a monkey and a potato. Heirs of the man who painted it were so horrified that they threatened to sue Giménez.

But there was an upside: The botched artwork turned into a magnet for kitsch-loving tourists. By 2016, more than 160,000 visitors flocked to the Sanctuary of Mercy church to view it, scooping up “Ecce Homo” souvenirs from pens to mugs to wine featuring Jesus’ tragically altered face on the label.

By then Gimenez didn’t fail so bad about her her restoration that turned into destruction. “I’ve gone to a psychiatrist and I take medication to feel a bit better,” she told The Post at the time. “Now I look [at the painting and think], ‘It’s okay, you’re not so ugly.’”

800-year-old sarcophagus

This 800-year-old sandstone casket was broken in a family photo.
This 800-year-old sandstone casket was broken in a family photo.
SWNS

A couple of parents at the Prittwell Priory Museum in Southend, Essex, England, thought it would be hilarious in 2017 to put their young son inside an 800-year-old sandstone casket, known as a “sarcophagus” for a gag photo.

They raised the boys over a see-through barrier but did not realize that the coffin, which had been found on museum grounds in 1921 (with a skeleton inside), was actually in three sections. One piece, under the weight of the kid, tumbled away and smashed onto the ground.

The family fled the scene without telling anyone what had happened, leaving staffers, as conservator Claire Reed told the BBC, “shocked and upset” at the “unbelievable incident.”




By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

Kourtney Kardashian uses Kopari Coconut Melt to ‘look good naked’

Published

on

By


Page Six may be compensated and/or receive an affiliate commission if you buy through our links.

Kourtney Kardashian’s no stranger to showing skin.

Whether the reality star’s modeling lingerie, baring it all in a bikini or packing on PDA with husband Travis Barker, she’s clearly confident about her body — and relies on a selection of tried-and-true products to keep her skin in tip-top shape.

In one of her first-ever Poosh stories, fittingly titled “How to Look Good Naked,” the 43-year-old outlines some of her body care essentials, including La Mer The Body Crème ($300), Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Aging Body Cream ($95) and Le Labo’s Pin 12 Candle ($82) — the latter because “lighting is everything.”

But not everything on Kardashian’s list will bust your budget. She also swears by Kopari Organic Coconut Melt, which will set you back just $29 for a full-sized jar or $18 for a mini version.

“In order to achieve glowy skin, it’s important to moisturize everything — everywhere — at least once a day,” the Poosh piece reads. “Don’t forget to care for your hands and feet as well; we recommend focusing on these areas at night.”

Billed as “a deep conditioner for your bod,” the product is comprised of 100% organic, unrefined coconut oil, and Kopari suggests applying it “as soon as you step out of the shower and at the end of the day.”

What’s more, the multitasking product also works well as a hair mask, dry shave oil, bath mix-in and belly balm, per the brand.

Snag a tub for yourself below — and get ready to look fabulous in your birthday suit, too.

Kopari Organic Coconut melt
Kopari


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Carlos Carrasco’s gem, three homers propel Mets past Marlins

Published

on

By


MIAMI — He’s one tough Cookie these days.

Carlos Carrasco isn’t going to win any contests blowing away hitters, but the right-hander’s offspeed pitches and command — and most importantly, his health — have converged this season to give the Mets an invaluable rotation piece.

On Saturday, he gave his team 7 ²/₃ shutout innings in a 4-0 victory over the Marlins at loanDepot park. Carrasco extended his scoreless streak over his past three starts to 18 ²/₃ innings.

The win was No. 100 in Carrasco’s career, making the 35-year-old the eighth Venezuelan-born pitcher to reach the milestone. Carrasco last surrendered a run on July 9 against the Marlins at Citi Field.

The Mets (63-37) won their fifth straight and reached the 100-game mark with the franchise’s most victories since 1986.

Overall, Carrasco allowed four hits and struck out seven with two walks. Seth Lugo replaced Carrasco in the eighth inning after Charles Leblanc had doubled with two outs. But Leblanc was picked off second base by Tomas Nido, ensuring Carrasco’s scoreless streak continued.

Carlos Carrasco didn't allow a run in the Mets' 4-0 win over the Marlins.
Carlos Carrasco didn’t allow a run in the Mets’ 4-0 win over the Marlins.
AP

Lugo remained in the game to pitch a scoreless ninth inning, allowing Edwin Diaz a day off following a 10-pitch outing Friday in which he struck out the side.

The Mets will try for a three-game sweep of the reeling Marlins on Sunday with Taijuan Walker on the mound.

After scuffling at the plate for seven innings, the Mets gave Carrasco breathing room in the eighth when Francisco Lindor and J.D. Davis each blasted a solo homer to give the Mets a 4-0 lead. Davis’ homer, in a pinch-hitting appearance, came as the Mets are searching on the trade market for a right-handed bat to solidify the DH spot.

The Mets have traded for two lefty bats in the last week-plus to bolster the other half of the DH equation. One of those additions, Tyler Naquin, debuted for the Mets on Saturday in left field and went 0-for-4. Daniel Vogelbach started at DH and drew a walk in four plate appearances.

Carrasco’s gem was the latest strong performance by a Mets starting pitcher. Entering play, the Mets had a 2.45 ERA from the starting rotation in July, which ranked second in the major leagues. Chris Bassitt had a rare flat start for the Mets a night earlier, when he allowed four earned runs over six innings.

Jeff McNeil hit a solo homer in the third against rookie Nick Neidert to give the Mets their first run. The homer was the first since June 14 for McNeil, who entered the day with a .162/.240/.191 slash line in July.

The Mets weren’t finished in the inning: Nido, Brandon Nimmo and Lindor all singled. Lindor’s hit extended the Mets’ lead to 2-0 and gave the shortstop 68 RBIs for the season before he reached 69 with his blast later.

Carrasco was challenged in the first inning, when he allowed a single to Miguel Rojas and walk to Jesus Aguilar before retiring JJ Bleday for the final out. In the fourth, Carrasco surrendered a leadoff single, but he escaped the inning when he got Bleday to ground into a double-play.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Career NYC criminal tries to steal moped from NYPD station

Published

on

By



A brazen career criminal with more than 50 arrests on his rap sheet, including rape, was busted for trying to steal a moped from outside a lower Manhattan police station.

Jon Matos was caught red-handed approaching the $1,200 bike outside the 5th Precinct, sources said.

He was allegedly using a set of burglary tools Friday to try to bust the lock of the bike, which was vouchered property, cops and sources said.

Matos, a homeless father of three, was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of attempted grand larceny and possession of burglary tools.

The proceeding was delayed for hours, sources said, after Matos allegedly became angry with a cellmate who used the facilities — but didn’t courtesy flush.

“I was just f–king with it. It’s not my tools,” he allegedly told an NYPD detective, said Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Megan Mers during the court proceeding.

Judge Valentina Morales Saturday agreed to give Matos supervised release in the moped case.

“Thank you, your honor,” Matos told Morales.

But instead of hitting the streets once again, Matos was held on outstanding charges from the 23rd Precinct in an unrelated case, authorities said.

It was his second appearance before a judge in a week: Matos was in court days earlier, charged with grand larceny, petit larceny, and criminal possession of stolen property and was released in yet another incident.

Matos has racked up dozens of busts for burglary, robbery, fare evasion — including the 1999 rape of a 14-year-old girl.

Crime is up in six of the seven major crimes measured by the department contributed to the increase — though the seventh category, murders, dropped a noticeable 31.6% last month in comparison to numbers compiled in June 2021, according to the NYPD’s preliminary statistics.

Grand larceny spiked 41%, robbery rose 36.1% and burglary went up 33.8%.

When addressing the crime spike last month, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the department was arresting the same people for crimes “over and over again.”

Other recent and brazen repeat offenders include veteran shoplifter Isaac “Man of Steal” Rodriguez, who was finally locked up in January after dozens of arrests for stealing to support his drug habit.

Laron Mack, whose catchphrase is “I steal for a living,” has been arrested more than 50 times. Another serial stealer, James Connelly, was busted in December for involvement in 28 separate incidents over three months.

Last month, accused serial shoplifter Lorenzo McLucas, 34, was nabbed for stealing from the cosmetics counter at a Duane Reade on Lexington Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, according to cops and court documents.

McLucas, who was released on his own recognizance, has notched 122 prior arrests.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Trending

Back