Connect with us

Published

on


How suite it is.

Gov. Kathy Hochul had the state shell out $2 million to provide herself a spacious state-of-the-art executive office in a Buffalo building whose landlord is a big campaign contributor, according to documents obtained by The Post.

Hochul’s ramped-up new digs in her hometown include access to a balcony, a snazzy mural called “Go!” painted on one side of the building and a rooftop garden, published reports have said.

“When she became governor, she ordered that her office be made bigger by taking down a wall and that she be given access to a balcony,” said a source familiar with the office expansion.

The extensive renovations on the fifth floor of the mixed-use building at 95 Perry St. in Buffalo’s historic Cobblestone District began shortly after Hochul replaced tarnished Andrew Cuomo as governor in August and continued through this past April, records show.

She is heavily favored to win the Democratic primary on June 28 and face off against a Republican in five months.

Developer Samuel Savarino of Savino Companies — who built, owns and manages the renovated warehouse — has donated $62,500 to Hochul’s campaign kitty. The majority of that dough, or $37,500, was contributed after Hochul became governor, according to her campaign records filed with the state Board of Elections.

Kathy Hochul
Gov. Kathy Hochul’s building renovations are for security purposes.
Matthew McDermott

Hochul, who was born and bred in Buffalo and lives there, used the same building for a much smaller office when she was lieutenant governor, sources said.

Her public schedule since becoming governor shows she has spent about 12 days in Buffalo, mainly in aftermath of the horrific shooting massacre there last month.

Neither Cuomo nor his gubernatorial predecessor, George Pataki, had a third office in addition to the ones they had in the state Capitol building in Albany and the governor’s traditional New York City office on Third Avenue in Manhattan.

Critics slammed the under-the-radar spending for Hochul’s new digs while also noting the building owner’s contributions to her political war chest.

“It absolutely reeks and should be investigated,” state Republican Party Chairman Nick Langworthy seethed to The Post of the situation.

Long Island Rep. Tom Suozzi, one of Hochul’s opponents in the upcoming June 28 Democratic primary, also blasted the project.

“[She] has reneged on her promise that an ‘ethical government would be a hallmark’ of her administration,” Suozzi said.

The “executive chamber renovation” project was paid by the Empire State Development Corp., the chief state leaseholder for office space in the building.

A breakdown of the spending on the renovations at the leased building includes:

  • $413,793 for electrical work
  • $362,400 for architectural and engineering work
  • $240,349 for doors and frames
  • $179,689 to landlord/general contractor Savarino Companies for supervision, cleaning, providing temporary facilities
  • $172,955 for finishes;
  • $137,309 for heat, ventilation and air conditioning and $118,745 for specialty construction

The spending also includes  $67,820 for demolition and debris removal; $1,380 for appliances; $17,595 for furnishings; $88,317 for fire suppression; $20,700 for plumbing;  $67,289 for communications; $15,000 for electrical safety and security; $10,925 for exterior improvements and $18,143 for insurance.

The total value or cost with change orders comes in at $2,002,831.42, according to invoices filed by the contractor and subcontractors.

The Hochul administration claims the renovations and expansion were done mainly for security purposes, not for “convenience or luxury.

“For the safety and security of the Governor, renovations were made to one floor of a building that is leased by Empire State Development,” ESD said in a statement. “All work was done in accordance with State Police requirements to ensure the well-being of the Governor when working in Western New York.”

But the ESD also said the renovations were done to accommodate the need for additional executive staff as well as security personnel, in addition to other security measures and upgrades.

The agency added that the balcony has been a feature of the building since 2008, when the economic development agency first leased space there and that the offices located near it were not altered to create greater access for the governor.

The State Police also issued a statement saying it “conducted a review of existing facilities and determined that changes were required to support the security needs of the Governor.

“These were not changes for convenience or luxury, but were vital upgrades to protect the safety and security of the Governor as deemed necessary by State Police,” the statement said.

The Office of General Services, responsible for handling leases for state agencies, said in a separate statement that it is reimbursing ESD for the cost of renovations for upgrades “necessary for security reasons related to the Governor’s occupancy.”


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

Kourtney Kardashian uses Kopari Coconut Melt to ‘look good naked’

Published

on

By


Page Six may be compensated and/or receive an affiliate commission if you buy through our links.

Kourtney Kardashian’s no stranger to showing skin.

Whether the reality star’s modeling lingerie, baring it all in a bikini or packing on PDA with husband Travis Barker, she’s clearly confident about her body — and relies on a selection of tried-and-true products to keep her skin in tip-top shape.

In one of her first-ever Poosh stories, fittingly titled “How to Look Good Naked,” the 43-year-old outlines some of her body care essentials, including La Mer The Body Crème ($300), Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Aging Body Cream ($95) and Le Labo’s Pin 12 Candle ($82) — the latter because “lighting is everything.”

But not everything on Kardashian’s list will bust your budget. She also swears by Kopari Organic Coconut Melt, which will set you back just $29 for a full-sized jar or $18 for a mini version.

“In order to achieve glowy skin, it’s important to moisturize everything — everywhere — at least once a day,” the Poosh piece reads. “Don’t forget to care for your hands and feet as well; we recommend focusing on these areas at night.”

Billed as “a deep conditioner for your bod,” the product is comprised of 100% organic, unrefined coconut oil, and Kopari suggests applying it “as soon as you step out of the shower and at the end of the day.”

What’s more, the multitasking product also works well as a hair mask, dry shave oil, bath mix-in and belly balm, per the brand.

Snag a tub for yourself below — and get ready to look fabulous in your birthday suit, too.

Kopari Organic Coconut melt
Kopari


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Carlos Carrasco’s gem, three homers propel Mets past Marlins

Published

on

By


MIAMI — He’s one tough Cookie these days.

Carlos Carrasco isn’t going to win any contests blowing away hitters, but the right-hander’s offspeed pitches and command — and most importantly, his health — have converged this season to give the Mets an invaluable rotation piece.

On Saturday, he gave his team 7 ²/₃ shutout innings in a 4-0 victory over the Marlins at loanDepot park. Carrasco extended his scoreless streak over his past three starts to 18 ²/₃ innings.

The win was No. 100 in Carrasco’s career, making the 35-year-old the eighth Venezuelan-born pitcher to reach the milestone. Carrasco last surrendered a run on July 9 against the Marlins at Citi Field.

The Mets (63-37) won their fifth straight and reached the 100-game mark with the franchise’s most victories since 1986.

Overall, Carrasco allowed four hits and struck out seven with two walks. Seth Lugo replaced Carrasco in the eighth inning after Charles Leblanc had doubled with two outs. But Leblanc was picked off second base by Tomas Nido, ensuring Carrasco’s scoreless streak continued.

Carlos Carrasco didn't allow a run in the Mets' 4-0 win over the Marlins.
Carlos Carrasco didn’t allow a run in the Mets’ 4-0 win over the Marlins.
AP

Lugo remained in the game to pitch a scoreless ninth inning, allowing Edwin Diaz a day off following a 10-pitch outing Friday in which he struck out the side.

The Mets will try for a three-game sweep of the reeling Marlins on Sunday with Taijuan Walker on the mound.

After scuffling at the plate for seven innings, the Mets gave Carrasco breathing room in the eighth when Francisco Lindor and J.D. Davis each blasted a solo homer to give the Mets a 4-0 lead. Davis’ homer, in a pinch-hitting appearance, came as the Mets are searching on the trade market for a right-handed bat to solidify the DH spot.

The Mets have traded for two lefty bats in the last week-plus to bolster the other half of the DH equation. One of those additions, Tyler Naquin, debuted for the Mets on Saturday in left field and went 0-for-4. Daniel Vogelbach started at DH and drew a walk in four plate appearances.

Carrasco’s gem was the latest strong performance by a Mets starting pitcher. Entering play, the Mets had a 2.45 ERA from the starting rotation in July, which ranked second in the major leagues. Chris Bassitt had a rare flat start for the Mets a night earlier, when he allowed four earned runs over six innings.

Jeff McNeil hit a solo homer in the third against rookie Nick Neidert to give the Mets their first run. The homer was the first since June 14 for McNeil, who entered the day with a .162/.240/.191 slash line in July.

The Mets weren’t finished in the inning: Nido, Brandon Nimmo and Lindor all singled. Lindor’s hit extended the Mets’ lead to 2-0 and gave the shortstop 68 RBIs for the season before he reached 69 with his blast later.

Carrasco was challenged in the first inning, when he allowed a single to Miguel Rojas and walk to Jesus Aguilar before retiring JJ Bleday for the final out. In the fourth, Carrasco surrendered a leadoff single, but he escaped the inning when he got Bleday to ground into a double-play.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Career NYC criminal tries to steal moped from NYPD station

Published

on

By



A brazen career criminal with more than 50 arrests on his rap sheet, including rape, was busted for trying to steal a moped from outside a lower Manhattan police station.

Jon Matos was caught red-handed approaching the $1,200 bike outside the 5th Precinct, sources said.

He was allegedly using a set of burglary tools Friday to try to bust the lock of the bike, which was vouchered property, cops and sources said.

Matos, a homeless father of three, was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of attempted grand larceny and possession of burglary tools.

The proceeding was delayed for hours, sources said, after Matos allegedly became angry with a cellmate who used the facilities — but didn’t courtesy flush.

“I was just f–king with it. It’s not my tools,” he allegedly told an NYPD detective, said Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Megan Mers during the court proceeding.

Judge Valentina Morales Saturday agreed to give Matos supervised release in the moped case.

“Thank you, your honor,” Matos told Morales.

But instead of hitting the streets once again, Matos was held on outstanding charges from the 23rd Precinct in an unrelated case, authorities said.

It was his second appearance before a judge in a week: Matos was in court days earlier, charged with grand larceny, petit larceny, and criminal possession of stolen property and was released in yet another incident.

Matos has racked up dozens of busts for burglary, robbery, fare evasion — including the 1999 rape of a 14-year-old girl.

Crime is up in six of the seven major crimes measured by the department contributed to the increase — though the seventh category, murders, dropped a noticeable 31.6% last month in comparison to numbers compiled in June 2021, according to the NYPD’s preliminary statistics.

Grand larceny spiked 41%, robbery rose 36.1% and burglary went up 33.8%.

When addressing the crime spike last month, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the department was arresting the same people for crimes “over and over again.”

Other recent and brazen repeat offenders include veteran shoplifter Isaac “Man of Steal” Rodriguez, who was finally locked up in January after dozens of arrests for stealing to support his drug habit.

Laron Mack, whose catchphrase is “I steal for a living,” has been arrested more than 50 times. Another serial stealer, James Connelly, was busted in December for involvement in 28 separate incidents over three months.

Last month, accused serial shoplifter Lorenzo McLucas, 34, was nabbed for stealing from the cosmetics counter at a Duane Reade on Lexington Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, according to cops and court documents.

McLucas, who was released on his own recognizance, has notched 122 prior arrests.


By: Ny Post

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Trending

Back